April 9, 2014

Balsamic Pepper Steak


It's almost the weekend!  In fact it's almost Spring Break.  Whether you have kids or not this should have some meaning for you.  It either means that you're going on vacation, trying to come up with something for the kids to do or avoiding all the places where kids will be.  We have no real plans.  I think we'll try to do a couple of day trips or plan some fun activities but nothing major.  I know several families heading off to Disney World.  Good luck with that, that is one place I would NOT want to be on spring break!

My husband and I are still attempting to improve the way we eat, and that includes doing as many whole foods as we can.  This marinade is fantastic, even if you have no idea what I mean when I say "whole food".  It's OK, this marinade is a winner. 

We didn't plan far enough in advance to marinate for hours, we marinated for like 1 hour.  Needless to say it was totally delish so I know that if I plan ahead next time and let it marinate overnight it will be even better.  We loved it.  Plenty of flavor.  I left it sort of rustic, more than the original recipe describes but we liked it that way and I would probably do it again that way.  Make it your own, you have to eat it after all!

Balsamic Pepper Steak
Recipe from The Saffron Girl


Ingredients
  • 4-5 cloves garlic cloves
  • 2 tsp whole black peppercorns
  • 1 tsp coarse sea salt
  • 1 tsp ground rosemary
  • 1/4 cup olive oil
  • 1/4 cup Balsamic Vinegar
  • 2 steaks of your choice
Cooking Directions
  1. Using a mortar and pestle, crush the garlic. I don't own a mortar and pestle so I did this whole process by hand.
  2. Add the peppercorns and crack.
  3. Add the rosemary and salt and grind together. I chopped the rosemary and left some in fairly good sized pieces.
  4. Add the olive oil and vinegar and mix well.
  5. Pour over the meat (I used steak tips), use the steak of your choice. Do this process in a resealable bag or a container with a tight fitting lid.
  6. Marinate overnight or for 4-5 hours.
  7. Grill to desired doneness.

No comments: