June 30, 2014

PW's The Best Baked Beans



I had to turn my oven on for this recipe. I only say that because it's really hot outside, so this took some serious commitment. I'm glad I did it though.  They were pretty darn delicious.

I was invited over to a friends house for dinner so I made these.  They are easy to make, it's really a quick process at first but you do have to bake them for 2 hours, so factor that in.

There is a good reason that beans are an outdoor party favorite, they aren't going to go bad if out in the sun.  With the 4th right around the corner I think you might want to consider this recipe.


PW's The Best Baked Beans
Recipe from The Pioneer Woman


Ingredients
  • 8 slices bacon, halved
  • 1 medium onion, chopped
  • 1/2 medium green pepper, diced (optional)
  • 3 cans (28 oz) pork and beans
  • 3/4 cup barbecue sauce
  • 1/2 cup brown sugar
  • 1/4 cup distilled vinegar or cider vinegar
  • 2 tsp dry mustard
Cooking Directions
  1. Heat the oven to 325º
  2. In a large pot, brown the bacon until partially cooked. You need about 1/4 cup of bacon grease. Place the partially cooked bacon on a paper towel and set aside.
  3. Add the reserved 1/4 bacon back into the same pot and add the onion and green pepper if you're using it. Cook about 5 minutes.
  4. Add in the remaining ingredients (not the bacon) and stir together. 
  5. Transfer the mix to a 9x13 inch pan, top with bacon and bake for 2 hours. 
  6. When done, let cool slightly so the sauce will thicken. 

No comments: