July 7, 2014

Lavender Cookies with Lemon Glaze



This is the beautiful lavender I am growing in my garden. It smells amazing!  This is the first year I've grown it and I'm very surprised at how many things there are that you can use lavender in.

I had read a book one time that the character used lavender in cookies and I haven't been able to get that out of my head.

So, here's a quick run-down on lavender drying.  If you grow any yourself, just make sure not to spray it with any chemicals.
Cut the stalks that have the flowers on them.
Use a rubber band to tie around the bottom of the stalks.
Hang the bundle upside down from a wire hanger with a cloths clip, or some other type of clip.
Put a clean towel or sheet under the bundle so when the flowers dry up they can fall onto the sheet. Hang the bundle in a cool dry area, like a closet. (I hung mine from a cabinet on the counter because I don't have a clean empty closet)
It took about 4 days to dry.
You can either pluck the remaining flowers off my hand or you can roll the bundle in a clean pillow case and then pick through and get the buds.


I was able to find a ton of lavender recipes on Pinterest and the Internet.  I would like to try several more before the summer is over. 

Be careful not to use too much until you're sure you and your family like the taste.  It is a wonderful flavor but if you use too much it can be sort of perfume-y.  

I used a lemon glaze on top because I thought it might help those who didn't like the lavender flavor.  Turns out that it compliments that lavender so well, and I used the same glaze on a blueberry cake that I made as well. It is delicious!  It's got plenty of lemon flavor, I loved it!

Oh, and I brought these cookies to the 4th of July celebration in my neighborhood and everybody tried one.  Some of my neighbors LOVED them.  Makes me happy. 
Lavender Cookies with Lemon Glaze
Recipe from Taste of Home


Ingredients
  • 1/2 cup vegetable shortening
  • 1/2 cup butter, softened
  • 1 1/4 cups granulated sugar
  • 2 whole eggs
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
  • 1/2 tsp almond extract
  • 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
  • 2 tsp dried lavender flowers (purchased from a spice shop, or if home grown, not treated with pesticides) This amount can be doubled, if you're already familiar with, and like Lavender. 
  • 1 tsp baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp salt
Cooking Directions
  1. Preheat the oven to 375º
  2. Line cookie sheets with parchment paper
  3. In the bowl of your stand mixer, add the shortening, butter and sugar.  Beat until light and fluffy. 
  4. Add the eggs, one at a time and blend, then add the vanilla and almond extract. 
  5. In a separate dish, combine the flour, lavender, baking powder and salt. Whisk together and then slowly add to the mixing bowl while the mixer is on low speed. 
  6. Use a teaspoon to add a rounded ball of dough to the cookie sheet.  
  7. Bake for 8-10 minutes. Will be golden brown around the edges and pale on top. 
  8. When the cookies are cool, top with the glaze (see below)

Lemon Glaze
Recipe from Martha Stewart


Ingredients
  • 2 cups confectioners sugar
  • 2 Tbsp finely grated lemon zest
  • 1/3 cup fresh lemon juice
Cooking Directions
  1. Mix all of the ingredients with a whisk until smooth.

No comments: