August 19, 2014

Blueberry Turnovers




Boy it's been an interesting week already.  School has started here and that requires some adjustment on my part.  I need to think about earlier bedtimes and snacks and lunches.  All the things I sort of forgot about over the summer. As soon as we've gotten used to all this, I'll get back on schedule with my posts, I promise!

You know what's really disappointing? I bought at least a gallon and a half of blueberries this summer that we picked ourselves, and I STILL don't have any in the freezer to get me through winter. My daughter eats them like they are candy.  Believe me, I'm happy about that but still.  Oh well, on the up side you can make these turnovers with frozen blueberries too. 


I seem to have my biggest sugar cravings in the morning, so this turnover is just right for me.  The pastry is flaky and tender, the filling is perfect.  Thick yet flavorful filling. Ton's of blueberry goodness with a hint of lemon.  The filling is thick, so it doesn't run out when you cut it open.  I actually like these turnovers best when they are a day old, I know I'm weird.  I like how the pasty is a little less fluffy.  I might be the only one who feels that way.

I can't wait to try this same basic recipes with some different fillings, but this blueberry one is pretty darn amazing.

Blueberry Turnovers
Recipe from Taste of Home


Ingredients
  • 2 cups fresh or frozen blueberries
  • 2 Tbsp sugar
  • 1 Tbsp corn starch
  • 2 tsp grated lemon peel
  • 2 Tbsp butter
  • 1 package (17.3 ounces) frozen puff pastry, thawed
  • 1 whole egg
  • 1 Tbsp water
  • 1/2 cup confectioners' sugar
  • 1 Tbsp milk
Cooking Directions
  1. Preheat the oven to 450º
  2. In a medium saucepan, combine 1/2 cup blueberries, sugar, corn starch and lemon peel and bring to a boil. Boil for about 2 minutes or until thick.
  3. Add the butter and the remaining blueberries, stir to combine.
  4. On a floured surface, roll out each square of pastry puff so it becomes 12x12. You should have two separate squares, both that size.
  5. Cut each square into 4 equal sized pieces so you have 8 total.
  6. Drop about 3 Tbsp of filling into the middle of each square and fold over so you form a rectangle. Pinch the ends together so they are sealed and place on a ungreased cookie sheet.
  7. Brush the tops with the egg/water mixture that has been whisked together.
  8. Bake for 15 minutes or until golden brown.
  9. Wait until the pastry's are cooled before applying the glaze.  To make the glaze just mix the confectioners' sugar together with the milk and drizzle over each pastry. 

No comments: