October 20, 2014

Apple Cobbler



I've had many different types of cobbler in my life, but I don't think I've ever had apple.  I got this recipe from and old cookbook I was given.  I love it because it's a New England cookbook and my husband is from there, so a lot of these recipes really bring back memories for him. This particular recipe hails from New Hampshire.

I absolutely loved the "cobbler" portion of this recipe.  The almond extract makes it more like a yummy bread on top of delicious apples.  I think the next time I make this recipe I will double the apple portion because they seemed to sort of disappear beneath the yummy cobbler.  I also loved how easy this was to throw together, much easier then making an apple bread or an apple pie.

Great fall/winter dessert.

Apple Cobbler
Recipe from The New York Times New England Heritage Cookbook, page 227


Ingredients
  • 2 cups thinly sliced, peeled and cored apples (I think you can add more if you want to)
  • 1/2 cup light brown sugar
  • 1/4 tsp almond extract
  • 1/2 tsp cinnamon
  • 1/2 tsp nutmeg
  • 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 3 tsp baking powder
  • 3 Tbsp granulated sugar
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1/3 cup shortening
  • 1/2 cup milk
  • 1 whole egg, well beaten
Cooking Directions
  1. Preheat the oven to 400º
  2. Grease and 8x8 or 9x9 inch square baking dish.
  3. Arrange the apples on the bottom of the dish.
  4. In a small bowl, combine the brown sugar, almond extract, cinnamon and nutmeg. Sprinkle over the apples and put into the oven.
  5. In a medium bowl add the flour, baking powder, 1 Tbsp of the sugar and salt. Use a pastry blender, two forks or your fingers to add in the shortening and work until it looks like wet sand.
  6. Add the milk and egg but only stir until the ingredients are moist.
  7. Take the dish out of the oven and carefully spread the dough over the apples. Sprinkle with the remaining 2 Tbsp of sugar and put in the oven for 35-40 minutes.
  8. The top should be golden brown. Let sit for 5-10 minutes before serving.

No comments: