October 23, 2014

Frosted Pumpkin Cake


It's that time of year for pumpkin everything!  Believe it or not I am not a fan of pumpkin pie but I do like all other things pumpkin. This cake was calling my name when I got my weekly email from MyRecipes. 

The cake is amazing and the frosting brings it over the top.  The cake is moist and full of pumpkin and cinnamon flavor, the cream cheese frosting is exactly what you'd expect.  Creamy and delicious.  My husband suggested that next time I add some raisins or apples and I couldn't agree more.  I love this cake the way it is but I might experiment next time. 

This is a perfect alternative to pumpkin pie this holiday season, if you're like me and don't care for it that much.  I can't wait to share this one with my friends!

Frosted Pumpkin Cake
Recipe from MyRecipes


Ingredients
  • 10.1 ounces (about 2 1/4 cups) all-purpose flour
  • 2 1/2 tsp baking powder
  • 2 tsp ground cinnamon
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 1 cup light brown sugar, packed
  • 1/4 cup butter, softened
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
  • 2 large eggs
  • 1 (15 ounce) can pumpkin puree
  • cooking spray
Frosting
  • 2 Tbsp butter, softened
  • 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
  • 1 (8 ounce) package 1/3 less fat cream cheese, softened
  • 2 cups powdered sugar, sifted
Cooking Directions
  1. Preheat the oven to 350º
  2. In a small bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, cinnamon and salt.  Set aside. 
  3. In the bowl of your stand mixer, add the brown sugar and butter and cream together.  Add the vanilla and the eggs one at a time, mixing after each addition. 
  4. Add the can of pumpkin puree and mix well. 
  5. Slowly incorporate the flour and fold in. 
  6. Spray a 9x13 inch dish with cooking spray and then dump the batter into the prepared dish. 
  7. Bake for 25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. 
  8. Let the cake cool before frosting. 
  9. To make the frosting, add the first three ingredients into the bowl of your stand mixer and blend together.  Slowly add the powdered sugar and mix until smooth. 
  10. Frost the cooled cake and serve. 

No comments: