October 28, 2014

Paleo Lemon-Blueberry Muffins


As you may or may not know, I've been doing an eating plan called Whole30.  Whole30 is slightly different from Paleo, but it's close enough that you can use many of the same recipes. So, I happen to have a Paleo cookbook in my possession.  Lucky for me, because some mornings I just don't have time to cook an omelet or make some bacon.

Coconut flour is the key to this recipe.  If you're not having any luck finding any it's because it depends on your grocery store as to it's placement. I bought the Bob's Red Mill brand and I saw that some grocery stores had it in the flour section while others had a gluten free section and still others had a Bob's Red Mill section of some random isle. I'd just ask when you first walk in and save yourself some frustration.

There was some unapproved Whole30 ingredients in this recipe that I want to reveal to you now. You aren't supposed to have maple syrup or vanilla extract.  I've already done my 30 days and so I didn't feel that the minor cheats in this recipe would hurt that much.

This recipe is very different from a traditional lemon-blueberry muffin.  Good, but very different. We get so accustomed to the sweet flavors and the taste of all-purpose flour of regular muffins that sometimes it takes a while to get ourselves off those flavors.  The good news is that in my opinion this muffin had a nice sweet flavor, and the blueberries were perfect.  The lemon flavor was very mild and the texture is different but not in a bad way from a regular muffin. Not as fluffy but still moist.

Great alternative to the meat or eggs I have gotten used to with this eating plan.


Paleo Lemon-Blueberry Muffins
Recipe from Practical Paleo page 246


Ingredients
  • 6 whole eggs
  • 1/2 cup butter or coconut oil, melted
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
  • 1/4 cup grade B maple syrup
  • 1 whole lemon, juiced and zest
  • 1/2 cup coconut flour
  • 1/2 tsp sea salt
  • 1/4 tsp baking soda
  • 1 cup fresh blueberries
Cooking Directions
  1. Preheat the oven to 350º
  2. In the bowl of your stand mixer with the whisk attachment, whisk the eggs, butter, coconut oil, vanilla extract, maple syrup, lemon juice and lemon peel.
  3. Sift in the coconut flour, sea salt and baking soda and stir until well combined.
  4. Fold in the blueberries.
  5. Line a muffin pan with muffin papers (natural parchment muffin papers work best) and use a 1/4 cup scoop to fill each muffin cup. Bake for 35-40 minutes.

No comments: