March 30, 2015

Melting Potatoes



Spring break is here!  Finally!  I might be more excited about it then my daughter.  It seems like it's been such a long time since out last break. Do you have any big plans for your spring break? 

One thing I'm always on the look out for is a great side dish.  We usually end up with the old standby of some frozen veggies or a salad but once in a while it would be nice to have something a little, you know, fancier. 

When I saw this recipe on Pinterest I knew I wanted to make it.  I did, that night and guess what? I used a glass baking dish and it shattered into a million pieces in my oven.  But on the bright side, they smelled really good even though it was smeared on the inside of my oven.  Yea, sometimes I don;t read the ENTIRE recipe thoroughly first.  This might have cured me of that bad habit. 

Cut to a week later when I tried it again using a METAL baking dish.  Amazing how well it worked and with no glass to clean up!  Yay!  This recipe does take a little time but it's very worth it.  The crispy flavorful potatoes really do melt in your mouth.  Great flavor from the butter, seasonings and broth.  Great side dish. 

Melting Potatoes


Ingredients
  • 3 pounds gold potatoes, peeled
  • 6 Tbsp butter, melted
  • 1 Tbsp fresh thyme, chopped
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 1/2 tsp pepper
  • 1 1/4 cups chicken broth
  • 2 whole garlic cloves, lightly crushed and peeled
Cooking Directions
  1. Heat the oven to 500º
  2. Place the rack in the upper middle position.
  3. Mix the melted butter, thyme, salt and pepper in a medium bowl. 
  4. Cut the peeled potatoes into 3/4 inch to 1 inch sized slices.  Square off the ends to allow for easier flipping.   
  5. Toss the potatoes in the prepared butter mixture and arrange in a single layer in a 9x13 inch metal baking dish.  Reserve the remaining butter mixture.
  6. Roast for 15 minutes. 
  7. Use a spatula to flip over the potatoes and cook for an additional 15 minutes. 
  8. Use a spatula to flip over one more time but this time add the garlic and chicken broth as well. Cook for another 15 minutes or until they are tender. 
  9. Baste the potatoes in the remaining sauce and serve. 
*The first time I made this recipe I used a glass baking dish, when I added the broth it exploded. Don't be like me. Use metal. 

No comments: