March 2, 2015

Pumpkin Tea Cake with Honey Cream



I recently borrowed this cookbook from my local library and I've been wanting to try the honey cream so bad!  Of course, I felt guilty for thinking I could just eat the honey cream with a spoon.  So I made the tea cake too.  Plus, I like saying "tea cake".  

Plus plus, it's pumpkin and I like pumpkin. 

So anyway, I'm extremely glad I made the bread too, oh um I mean the "tea cake".  The honey cream compliments the tea cake really well.  But, I believe it would be just as tasty slathered on a piece of toast or a bagel. Or just use a spoon. 

The pumpkin tea cake has a great pumpkin taste without being too overly pumpkin-y.  The spice is mild as well.  The honey cream is delicious. Smooth and creamy.  It comes out as a very pale golden color and tastes like heaven. Go ahead, make some honey cream today.  You know you want to. 

Pumpkin Tea Cake with Honey Cream
Recipe from Debbie Macomber's Cedar Cove Cookbook page 64


Bread Ingredients
  • 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 2 tsp baking soda
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1 Tbsp + 1 tsp pumpkin pie spice
  • 2 large eggs
  • 1 1/4 cups granulated sugar
  • 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, melted
  • 1 (15 ounce) can solid pack pumpkin (not pumpkin pie filling)
Honey Cream
  • 4 Tbsp unsalted butter, at room temperature
  • 4 ounces cream cheese, at room temperature
  • 2 Tbsp honey
  • 1/2 cup confectioners' sugar
Cooking Directions
  1. Preheat the oven to 350º
  2. Spray a 9x5 inch loaf pan with non-stick spray
  3. In a medium bowl, mix the flour, baking soda, salt and pumpkin pie spice.
  4. In the bowl of your stand mixer using the whisk attachment, add the eggs, sugar, melted butter and pumpkin and mix well.
  5. Fold the wet mix into the dry mix.
  6. Pour into the loaf pan and bake for 1 hour or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out with just a few moist crumbs. Let sit for 15 minutes, then run a knife around the edges and remove the loaf from the pan and let cool completely. 
  7. For the Honey Cream, mix all the ingredients together in a bowl.  Use a mixer with mixer for a creamier texture. Keep leftovers refrigerated. 


No comments: