May 26, 2015

Coconut Oil Honey Almond Granola


Sorry for my lack of posting lately.  I upgraded the operating system on my computer and it changed all of the ease and familiarity I had with my old one.  I've had to relearn where all my pictures are.  I'm not 100% with it yet, but I'm getting there.

I love this recipe.  I love it because it tastes amazing but I also didn't realize how much I would just snack on it instead of something worse (like chips).  I eat it like cereal, top yogurt with it and just eat it plain.  It's sweet and nutty and easy to make.  My daughter even liked it.  I think this would be a great travel food to bring on a plane or a long car ride.  

Great recipe!

Coconut Oil Honey Almond Granola


Ingredients
  • 1 cup whole almonds, divided
  • 3 cups old fashioned oats
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1/3 cup light brown sugar
  • 1/3 cup honey
  • 3 Tbsp coconut oil
  • 1/4 tsp vanilla extract
  • 1/8 tsp almond extract
Cooking Directions
  1. Heat the oven to 350º
  2. Pulse half the almonds in a food processor until they are finely chopped. Pour them into a large bowl. Coarsely chop (by hand) the other half of the almonds and add them to the others in the large bowl.
  3. Add the oats, salt and brown sugar into the large bowl with the almonds.
  4. In a small bowl combine the coconut oil and honey and microwave for 40 seconds and then stir. Add the vanilla extract and almond extract and stir again.
  5. Pour the honey mixture over the oats and stir together until well coated.
  6. Pour the mixture onto a jelly roll pan (with sides) in an even layer on top of a silpat or parchment paper and bake for 5 minutes. Remove and stir, then bake for 5 minutes longer. Remove and let cool completely.
  7. Break up the granola and store in an air tight container.

No comments: