July 8, 2015

PW's Sloppy Joes


I just got back from my annual trip to Montana, so please forgive the lack of posts lately.  I'll try to get some pictures up in the next couple of days.  We had a fantastic time, I just love it there.

This is a recipe I made right before we left on vacation. Sloppy Joes are just one of those meals that kids love.  When I was a kid it was just a matter of opening that famous can and dumping it in with some ground beef, but this version is tastier and still super easy.  Just some quick chopping and you have a quick meal, ready in no time.

My daughter, also known as the pickiest eater ever, even gave me the thumbs up.  I avoided the spicy stuff listed below as optional just to appeal to her more.  I just gave my personal sandwich a nice couple of dashes of Tabasco right before eating. So delicious!

Sloppy Joes
Recipe from The Pioneer Woman


Ingredients
  • 2 Tbsp butter
  • 2 1/2 pounds ground beef
  • 1/2 large onion, diced
  • 1 whole large bell pepper, diced
  • 5 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1 1/2 cups ketchup
  • 1 cup water
  • 2 Tbsp brown sugar
  • 2 tsp chili powder
  • 1 tsp dry mustard
  • 1/2 tsp dry red pepper flakes (optional)
  • Worcestershire sauce, to taste
  • 2 Tbsp tomato paste (optional)
  • Tabasco sauce, to taste (optional)
  • salt and pepper to taste
Cooking Directions
  1. Add the butter to a large dutch oven or pot and melt, add the ground beef and cook until no pink remains. Drain the fat.
  2. Add the onions, bell pepper and garlic.  Cook for a few minutes until the vegetables get soft. 
  3. Add the remaining ingredients and let simmer for about 15 minutes while you prepare the rolls. 
  4. Spread a little room temperature butter on rolls or bread and grill until golden, top with the sloppy joe mixture (add cheese if you're feeling daring) and serve hot. 

No comments: