August 14, 2015

Oatmeal-Fig Bars



This cookie bar was in the latest issue of Food Network Magazine.  There were so many to choose from, it was hard to settle on just one to make.  I told my husband that he would have to pick, there were just way too many choices for me.

I think he picked this one because it does have the "healthy" factor since there is oatmeal, wheat flour and figs in it.  I'm pretty sure that they can't be considered health food though.

The bars are perfect for a breakfast on the run, or a snack.  Very satisfying with a yummy fig taste and soft chewy texture.

I froze mine and I just pull a couple out as needed.  I'm happy with all the bar recipes that were in the magazine and I can't wait to try more. 

Oatmeal-Fig Bars
Recipe from Food Network Magazine Sept 2015 page 68


Ingredients
  • 2 sticks butter, at room temperature
  • 3/4 cup granulated sugar
  • 3/4 cup brown sugar
  • 2 1/2 cups rolled (Old Fashioned) oats
  • 3/4 cup whole wheat flour
  • 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
  • 1 tsp baking powder
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 2 cups chopped dried figs
  • 2 whole eggs
  • 2 tsp vanilla extract
Cooking Directions
  1. Line a 9x13 inch pan with tin foil so it hangs over the edges, then oil the tin foil with either non-stick spray or use your hands or a napkin to spread oil over the surface.
  2. Preheat the oven to 350º
  3. In a food processor, add the softened butter and both sugars and pulse to combine.
  4. Add the oats, both flours, baking powder and salt and pulse to combine.
  5. Next add the figs, eggs and vanilla and pulse until clumps form.
  6. Press the mixture into the prepared pan and then bake for about 35 minutes until the edges are set but the middle is soft.
  7. Cool before cutting.

No comments: